Consultation on changes to the school day
This consultation is now closed. We will post our response soon.
Research and progressive thinking suggests that students are more alert and receptive to learning at 10am.
- In response to current research we are looking to push back the start of the school day for students until 9:20.
- We will still provide a free breakfast for students from 8:20 with parents able to drop students at school earlier if needed.
- In order to ensure students are able to leave school at a reasonable time we have amalgamated registration and PREP periods.
- The removal of generic registration means that pupils arrive at school to begin learning straight away, case studies have found that this can have a positive impact on punctuality.
- Our current school day means that if students are in detention, they are kept on site until 16:30 at the latest. We do not propose keeping students on site later than 16:30.
- Assemblies would take place at the end of the day to finish on a high.
- The school day would finish at 16:30 on Tuesday, 16:00 on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and 13:40 on Friday.
- Students will still receive 30 periods of taught lessons each week as they do currently.
- This change is not a motivated by finance.
|09:20||10:00||Lesson 40||Registration PREP 40||Registration PREP 40||Registration PREP 40|
|10:00||10:50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50|
|11:10||12:00||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50|
|12:00||12:50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50|
|13:30||14:20||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50|
|14:20||15:10||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50|
|15:10||16:00||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50||Lesson 50|